Saturday, April 17, 2010

The truth

I hate to load up the page on the first day but I am trying to give you all a sense of me and show that I am serious about this blog.....

I have always been a "Thicken" (the NEW official term of endearment for thick women). I can remember growing up and being teased for the body that I had not yet grown into. In junior high I remember having to buy shorts biweekly because my hips kept growing, I went from a size five to a size fourteen by the end of the school year. By high school I was a little taller and things had seemed to be "fitting together." I did gain some more weight even though I was VERY active in Physical education freshmen year. Even though I was always the first one to finish the mile or the lap in warm ups, I was still the first one to be teased. Which is why the comments people made about me such as "you should lose some weight" or "you shouldn't be eating that" have always stuck with me.

Women like Michelle Obama, Khloe Kardashian, Jessica Simpson, Wendy Williams, Monique, America Ferrea and Toccara Jones, just to name a few, are women who are paving the way FOR US! They may struggle with weight issues and with comments (I know Khloe and Toccara especially do) but look at how much they LOVE themselves. Now, don't get me wrong ladies, there is a difference between healthy and unhealthy. I believe everyone should be taking care of themselves and be the best them they can be.

To this day that pressure to become thin and something other then who I really am has been branded in the back of my mind. Every time I see a skinny woman on a magazine cover or a television ad for tampons, they are all skinny women. I have since just embraced my thicken body and realized that no matter how "Skinny" I become I will always be what someone else considers fat..... So why not love me for who I am and what I have?

There is always going to be something that someone doesn't like about themselves and even what they don't like about YOU. I've heard skinny women say "I'm fat" I've heard some women say "I wish I had a bigger ass" and those bigger assed women say "I can't stand my big ass." We always think the grass is greener until we get on to the other side. Which is why I feel so strongly about this blog. I have a 2 year old little girl and I don't want her to feel the pressure I felt as a
child. I know I can't change societies views but I can greatly influence the views of my daughter, I want her to see me loving the body God gave me because I've heard one too many stories about women who loath the bodies they were given and their children loathing their own shape because they've viewed their mother struggling with it. Its a vicious circle that MUST be broken!!!

I believe its time to become royalty again. Like I previous posted, back in roman empirical times we thickens were the shit. We were consider beautiful and sexy and some how, skinny women have taken that over for themselves. Back in those times skinny women were peasants and considered poor, too poor to even eat. I love the fact that Jessica Simpson has the new television show to depict those cultures that LOVE thicken women.

So, this is for those women who are counting calories to become the next "skinny minnie," the women who come out to the club but didn't get hit on, the women who just had a child and happens to have a little extra, the women who were given a disgusting look while eating food, the girls who didn't get asked out to the prom, those who are too embarrassed to go to the pool or beach, those who have friends that are smaller then you, those who can't find clothes that fit you while shopping, those who get looks from the corner of others eyes, those unsaid words that are ultimately understood, and to those who have had eating disorders because all they truly want is to fit in to society's mold for all women. Oh My Thickness!!! Was created just for you!

1 comment:

  1. I was always pretty thin- the last 4 years I have put on some weight and it does make me self-conscious b/c I'm not a naturally a "thicken". It bothers me--not b/c of society but b/c I'm vain as hell.lol As all women know we are harder on ourselves than anyone else.

    I have been working out and losing and now becoming a bit of a runner! Something I always wanted to do. For me weight is not about the world-its' about you and if you are happy with your weight then Great.

    Me on the other hand am not so I decided to do something about it. I have a long way to go in my opinion but I'm doing it. I just think people need to be more active in general. It's too much DVR, TIVO and Wii mess going on that keeps ppl in the house. I want to be that role model for my kids so it all starts with me.

    Thickens Unite~ lol

    ReplyDelete